Bisnis.com, JAKARTA - A case of norovirus has been found in China again after a male dormitory at a university in China's Shanxi Province had to be closed.
Reporting from China's Global Times recently, the outbreak of this deadly norovirus has shocked health services in schools because a number of students have become victims.
"Currently, the school hospital is filled with infected students and the floor in the male student dormitory has been closed. Others are attending class as usual," a number of students told local newspaper Red Star News.
Shanxi University Faculty of Finance and Economics in Taiyuan reported that students experienced symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea and fever. Local disease surveillance authorities have confirmed that students have contracted norovirus.
Although the university has confirmed it, there have been no reports regarding the number of students being treated. Currently the condition of a number of students has started to improve.
Lin Minggui, Director of the Infectious Diseases Department, said the spread of the virus mainly occurred in schools along with China's weak public health system.
"This season the incidence of bowel disease is unusually high," he told the Health Times.
Norovirus is caused by germs. Norovirus comes from a different family from the corona virus which has caused the Covid-19 pandemic because it is not related to the flu caused by the influenza virus.
Norovirus can be spread to humans through contact with the feces of an infected person.
Some people refer to norovirus as food poisoning, stomach flu, or stomachache. Norovirus is a major cause of foodborne illness. However, germs and other chemicals can also cause foodborne illness.
Based on the Chinese Center for Disease Control (CDC), from October 2016 to September 2018, there were a total of 556 cases of norovirus.
Most outbreaks originated between individuals (95.1 percent) and occurred in children's schools (78.2 percent). In China most of the norovirus outbreaks originate in child care centers or schools.